Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hominy Casserole




This label has got to be from the 60's, I tried to google the Burbank Canning Company, and didn't see it. I don't think that there are in business anymore. But I do love hominy, the yellow kind, so was glad to give this a try. I usually just heat and eat hominy, now I can make something with it!

Alrighty then, let's get started!!!! Here is another recipe that is somewhat like the Burger Casserole, http://mymomsfilebox.blogspot.com/2011/03/burger-casserole.html, I just made, except no potatoes. I did like it and think it could be made into a enchilada type casserole, which I think I will do tonight with the leftovers.
By layering added corn tortillas, cheese and end with cheese on top, what do you think?? I could also see this mixture just reheated into a flour tortilla and eat as a burrito, quick lunch! Why do you see 2 cans of hominy, instead of one big one, is that is what I had on hand, besides it is just me who likes it.

Here are the simple ingredients:
2 tablespoons cooking oil (I didn't use)
1 medium size onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 pound fresh meat, ground
1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) hominy
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
extras I put in: can of sliced olives and 2 ribs of celery, chopped
salt, pepper, and seasoned salt to taste



Slowly brown meat, onion and green pepper in large heavy skillet containing the oil. Add tomato paste and hominy, including liquid from hominy. Stir and let come to a boil so paste is thoroughly mixed with liquid. Mixture should have a juicy consistency; add more water if necessary. Pour into a greased casserole and bake 1/2 hour at 350 degrees.





Just had to add the sound of sizzle!!!! Right out of the oven.
Also this recipe reminds me of Granny's Unnamed Recipe. http://mymomsfilebox.blogspot.com/2009/11/un-named-recipe.html
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment