Thursday, March 10, 2011

Guacamole Dip


This fine recipe must of come from a package of avocados. I did add about 2 tablespoons of salsa to give it a little more kick.
The shawl in the picture is one that my husband bought when he was on his mission in Veracruz, Mexico. He said he bought it for his future wife, not knowing who that was. I am glad it was me! The colors in the shawl are beautiful. When we starting dating he lived 8 hours away. He also dated 2 other women. He said he didn't know what to do, as this was the first time if ever dated 3 women at once. Also he mentioned he didn't date a woman who was divorced, let alone have children. Well the other two women were single and never had been married or had children. I on the other hand was divorced for 10+ years and had 2 daughters. How he chose me, I really don't know. He said because he liked how well I was raising my daughters and that I could make a good meal from what was in the kitchen. Yea for food!!!
A girlfriend invited him over to go swimming just when I was at the pool and then she left. Well, dinner time was upon us and so I had to think quick on what to fix. At that particular time I hadn't gone grocery shopping, so the cupboards were pretty bare. I did have some hot dogs and some veggies, so I made up a dish that somehow he enjoyed. It must of been the cookies that I baked that won him over that evening.
My mom loved avocados, so when we had company for dinner she made this recipe, along with her famous tacos, (http://domesticatedengineer.blogspot.com/2010/08/moms-tacos.html). She also made many avocado sandwiches for herself as we children didn't care for them. Avocados and mayonnaise on 2 slices of bread. Sorry, just not my cup of tea. I still don't care for mayonnaise either. I was a pb&j kinda of girl. Things I remember as I blog, interesting.




Guacamole Dip

1 avocado
1 tablespoon minced pickled green chili pepper
1 tablespoon minced sour pickle
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Seasoning to taste
Cut ripe avocado into halves. Remove seed. Peel. Put pulp through sieve. Add the remaining ingredients. Blend well. Make up this spread just before using, as avocado pulp darkens on standing.

Things I changed in the recipe:
1 avocado
2 tablespoons green chilies (I had a can of diced green chilies, so I used them)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
2 tablespoon Pace salsa
1 tablespoon fresh chopped red bell pepper
some chopped tomatoes to put on top
I just took the avocado and cut it into halves, scooped out the pulp and put in a bowl and used a fork to mash it. Then I added the rest of the ingredients and mix them all together. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment