Saturday, March 12, 2011

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

This must be the recipe that my mom used to bake all her Oatmeal Cookies! As this recipe card, as you can see, has been used over and over. It is a crisp cookie, although I don’t remember them being as crisp when I was a kid. I am still looking for a softer oatmeal cookie recipe, so if you have one, please send a recipe this way. We did have chocolate chip cookies, though not often. I suppose chocolate chips didn’t fit into the food budget.

Growing up in the 50’s and 60’s we pretty much took sack lunches to school and had many a home-made cookies. When we bought lunch at school it always seem to be near the Thanksgiving holiday. I suppose since we got turkey twice a year, better enjoy it. By the time 5th and 6th grade came along, we got to work in the cafeteria and had free lunch for the whole week! I loved working in the cafeteria and getting to not be in class for awhile, beside we always got extra food. We had to wait of course until all serving was done and then we got the leftovers. Back then it was all home-made lunches, no freeze-dried food. I can remember when my mom (although she never worked until I got into high school) worked in the cafeteria and sometimes she or Mrs. Hastings would bring in extra treats. Mrs. Hastings would bring in this home-made peanut butter cup, that tasted sooo good. Can’t do that nowadays. At our middle school, called Junior High back then, if you brought your lunch we had a section where there were picnic tables and we ate outside. If it rained, we had to squish inside with those who bought. Oh what fun times…….Ok enough rambling, here is the recipe:


Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 cups Crisco

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 ½ cups flour

2 cups oatmeal

1 package chocolate chips (10-12 ounce pkg.)

Nuts if you want (I would think at least ½ cup to 1 cup)

Bake at 350˚, 10-12 minutes.



Things I changed:

1 cup Crisco

½ cup butter

1 cup unbleached flour

½ cup spelt flour

no salt

package of dark chocolate chunks (10 ounce pkg.)

Cream together: fats and sugars

Add: eggs

Mix in: baking powder, flour

Stir in: oatmeal and choc. Chips

Drop onto cookie sheet by teaspoon full and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Makes 4 dozen cookies.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment