Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas Cookies Day #1

Christmas Cookies are really any cookie recipe that you make special for Christmastime. I will put at least 7 days worth of recipes here from my mom's recipe box. Hope you bake at least one of them this Christmas season. So many memories of our past Christmastimes.

Here is an interesting recipe from the box. I google search Billy Goats Cookies trying to find out how this recipe came about. Someone suggested that it is a recipe from possibly the 1940’s or 1950’s. Because they are bumpy and look somewhat like a bumpy goat. I was hoping to find that some mother was reading to their child the story of the ‘3 Billy Goats Guff’. As she was reading, had these delicious date cookies in the oven and called them ‘Billy Goat Cookies’. Well I can imagine can’t I ??? Where ever the name comes from, I really don’t know, but they sure sound like a good cookie. I love dates!

In this article Tracey says she got the recipe from her Aunt Betty and her grandmother before that. This article was from 1995. So I could see where this recipe would at least had to of been from the 1950’s.

Billy Goats (about 3 dozen cookies)

½ cup butter

1 ½ cups brown sugar, packed

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups flour

Dash salt

½ teaspoon baking soda

1 cup chopped dates

½ cup chopped walnuts

  • Cream butter and sugar until light. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla extract.
  • Sift together flour, salt and baking soda and add to butter mixture. Stir in dates and walnuts.
  • Drop rounded teaspoons of batter onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 350˚F until light brown on top, about 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

On the back of this article was some cool recipes for Hanukkah. So to all of my good friends who celebrate Hanukkah, these are for you! I see Hanukkah is spelled with one 'k' or 2 'k's'. Click on the paper to make it bigger to read. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment