Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Candies Day #4

Today I am going to put on Granny Mahakian's recipe of Peanut Brittle. Even though we all made this, Granny, just seemed to make it the best. Too many times mom failed, just wasn't her thing. But luckily I caught on and can make it!
This card was in mom's recipe box and as you will notice it is a card Granny gave to mom. It is in my mom's handwriting, as Granny always asked us to write on the cards ourselves so we could read our own writing.
As I read these instructions I don't think you might totally understand it, so I will be showing you how Granny sent me the instructions when I lived in Texas. Granny made peanut brittle ever since I can remember every Christmas. I starting making it from the early 1970's.


Peanut Brittle

2 cups sugar
1 cup clear corn syrup
1/2 cup water
Boil until it spins a thread - add 2 cups peanuts - cook until nuts pop open and syrup turned light golden brown. Turn out fire - add 1 teaspoon vanilla - 1 tablespoon butter - 2 teaspoon soda.
Stir quick and pour out on buttered pan or table - so it will have room to spread.



Here is the copy of the recipe in Granny's handwriting to me:


2 cups sugar
1 cup clear corn syrup (Karo is the kind we like best)
1/2 cup water
Boil all this together until hard cracked stage or until it spins a thread when you hold the spoon up and let the syrup run from the spoon. Now add 2 cups raw peanuts and stir and cook until the syrup turns just the slightest ting of amber color. Turn off fire and put in: 1 tablespoon butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir and then add 2 teaspoons baking soda and just stir until it foams, don't stir too much or you will ruin it. Just two or three stirs after you put in the soda. Pour out onto a buttered foil paper, the wide kind (meaning heavy duty foil). I think this is the trick is to not stir too much, although I will say I have stirred about 4 to 5 times before I pour it out. Just stir fast and get it poured out if you like the foam. Good luck!

Granny had a nice counter top that she would butter and pour this onto. I buttered a jelly roll pan heavily and this works for me, to be able to crack the brittle once it cools down.
I know that I have posted Granny's copy before, but I just wanted to show how sometimes when we copy down a recipe we write our own way, so we can understand the recipe. Also when I watch someone cook something, I will write down the recipe as I saw it being done.
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment