Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cookies

This recipe I am putting on, as I can't bake it, do to the hot weather. As I don't wish to heat up the house. It has been over 100 degrees for over 30+ days. Starting on the second month worth. Our gardens are drying up. I only have one tomato plant left, every thing the rabbits ate or the heat took over. I have friends who are very worried about their outside livestock. I don't live on a farm, but can see from news reports, that the main wheat and corn crops are pretty much dried up. They are even selling off the cows so that they can be somewhere cooler to finish growing. If you have a chance I suppose buying wheat, beef would be a good idea, as the prices will be going up again.
Ok, enough talk, back to the cookies!!

This recipe looks like it would be similar to the Mexican Wedding Cookies or Russian Tea Cakes. I went on google search and found similar ingredients to this cookie recipe. There are many different recipes.

My mom received this from a lady named Betty,in Azusa, either at a PTA meeting or a cake decorating class. Betty's phone number was on the paper. This is back when we did phone numbers with a word and numbers, as our are of numbers started with Edgewood and then the number. Remember the song Beechwood 45789, by the Marvelettes? If not, you can look it up on youtube, good song memories there. My sister-n-law just reminded me we also had party lines, too funny!


Translation of the recipes:
Cookies by Betty
3 sticks of butter or margarine, soften
6 tablespoons powered sugar
3 cups flour
1 cup walnuts, chopped
Mix first 3 ingredients with hand, until a stiff.
Add walnuts and roll in small balls.
Bake at 350 degrees on a cookie sheet for about 25 minutes. Take out and let cool on cooling racks.
In a zip bag put in powered sugar. Put in a cooled cookie and shake until covered. Place back on cooling rack.
Serve on a platter or plate.
This should make about 3-4 dozen cookies.

Recipe for the cake:
Jello Cake No. 1
(Use Angel Food Cake Pan)
1 package of Lemon Cake Mix
1 small (4 ounce size) Lemon Jello
2/3 cup water
4 eggs
Mix all ingredients together for 4 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes.

Glaze
Mix juice of 1 orange and 2 lemons with 3/4 cup sugar.
Pour over hot cake.
Store in refrigerator.
Serve with whip cream.
If this was Jello cake #1 then where is #2? We'll never know.
Enjoy! Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. These sound great - I love these kinds of cookies. And, I completely understand what you mean about the weather. It has been unusually humid and hot here. We are moving and last weekend were literally drenched trying to move large furniture - it almost drains your energy.

    ReplyDelete