Thursday, April 21, 2011

Peachy Crumb Cobbler



Here is another recipe that was on a Duncan Hines card. It sounded good, so I decided to buy the exact ingredients and then go to work! As I was putting in the ingredients in my basket, I noticed that this would of cost over $10 to make, so I did a little switching around. Next time I will make from scratch and save even more. Using a different brand of blueberry muffin mix with canned blueberries, I saved 75 cents, by making my own peach pie filling from canned peaches, I saved $4.


Peachy Crumb Cobbler
1 package Duncan Hines Wild Blueberry Muffin Mix (sorry, but I used a different brand, to save money)
1/4 cup sugar (I used brown sugar)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 cans (1 pound 6 ounces each) peach pie filling (see notes*)
1/2 cup sugar (I use brown sugar)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I used a 1/2 teaspoon here, see notes*)
3 teaspoons almond extract (I only used 1/2 teaspoon, as I didn't want over power the fruit.)
Ice cream, if desire
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl combine dry muffin mix, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in butter, then stir in nuts.


In a 13x9-inch pan combine pie filling, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, the almond extract and the drained blueberries.

Spoon the crumb topping over the peaches.



Bake at 350 degrees F, for 35-40 minutes, until topping is golden brown. Serve with ice cream if desired.

NOTES: For the peach pie filling, I used 3 cans (14-ounce size) of peaches and drained and saved the juice. To this juice I cooked in a medium pan and started it boiling. To this I added the called for sugar, almond extract, cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg, (1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg). Let this boil for about 1-2 minutes. While that is boiling, take a bowl and add 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water, stir and dissolve. Add this to the juice mixture and thicken. After this has thickened then I add the peaches and drained blueberries.


My Report: When I make this again, I will not add the sugar to the peaches. And I will only add half of the sugar called for in the topping part. It was too sweet for me, so a little less sugar seems right. I liked the flavor of the peaches with the blueberries. (If you don't want to throw out the blueberry juice, then you can make it into syrup for pancakes or ice cream topping.) I added the nutmeg. I like the flavor of fresh nutmeg with cinnamon. I have always made peach cobbler with pie crust, so this was a good and different change!

Extra note: I didn't care for this the next day, as the crust seemed to soak up the juices and become soggy. So my suggestion is to eat this the very first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment