Tuesday, October 13, 2009

English Apple Crumb Cake


English Apple Crumb Cake

8 large apples

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 cups sugar*

Slice apples into buttered pan and add the above mixture.

Then mix together:

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup butter

1 teaspoon cinnamon

And pour this mixture over first mixture – pack closely – bake 20 minutes at 375˚F - then 30 minutes at 300˚F. Use a 8x13” pan.


*Things I changed:

I only added 1 cup sugar, instead of two cups

Also only used ½ cup butter instead of 1 cup, in the crumb mixture.*


This is a hand written recipe to my mom- Mrs. Utterback 100119 Jersey, when we lived in Santa Fe Springs, CA, around 1956-59. She must have used this recipe a lot as it has been folded often enough to be torn and has oil marks. Can't read the correct name of this recipe so I added crumb cake, as that is what it reminds me of when I baked it. Not quite a cake or coffeecake. I too will be making this more often, as it was delicious!!! My mom must of made this only for PTA or other people, I don't remember tasting it.


The original recipe:


No comments:

Post a Comment